Spotting Hail Damage On Your Roof
Identifying hail damage on your belongings, such as patio furniture or your car, is relatively straightforward. The round dings in metal are obvious signs of hail damage. However, determining whether your roof has sustained damage from a hailstorm may be a little more difficult. It's important to keep your roof in top condition to avoid structural deterioration that may cause leaks. Many insurance companies will consider paying for a roof that has been damaged by hail, but it must be correctly assessed. Insurance adjusters will require the opinion of a professional roofing contractor before they will consent to the work being done, but you can also check for hail damage yourself before calling a roofer by following these tips.
- Check the ridge cap of the roof for dents. This area of the roof will receive the most damage from hail since it is flat and will take a direct hit in a storm.
- Look at the shingles. Check the whole shingle, as well as the edges, for signs of damage.
- Check for missing pieces in the asphalt of the roof. Look for areas on the shingle that have exposed, black substrate. This means the granules of the asphalt have been compromised or knocked off by something.
- Search for bruising in the shingles. Dents from hail are not always completely visible. Run your hand over the shingle to feel for small dimples in the surface. Press 1 of the dimples to see if it has any give. If it does, this is a sign that the shingle has begun some deterioration.
- Look for cracking in the shingle. Large hail can make a circular crack if the hail hits it hard enough.
If you believe your home may have been damaged by hail American Roofing & Sheet Metal would be happy to send one of our expert roofing specialist to examine your roofs health.
American Roofing & Metal Company has steadily grown to become one of the largest roofing companies in Louisville, Lexington and Cincinnati. Growth like this is no accident! We pride ourselves in giving our customers excellent craftsmanship at a fair price. Rest assured that when you contact us, you'll enjoy the same benefits our past quality roofing customers have already experienced. What are you waiting for? Give us a call!